The Scope of This Policy
The Information We Collect
When you use the Dark Carz Services, we collect the information you provide, usage information, and information about your device. We also collect information about you from other sources like third party services, and optional programs in which you participate, which we may combine with other information we have about you. Here are the types of information we collect about you:
A. Information You Provide to Us
Account Registration. When you create an account with Dark Carz, we collect the information you provide us, such as your name, email address, phone number, birth date, and payment information. You may choose to share additional info with us for your User profile, like your photo or saved addresses (e.g., home or work), and set up other preferences (such as your preferred pronouns).
Transportation Provider Information. If you apply to be a Transportation Provider, we will collect the information you provide in your application, including your company name, email address, phone number, physical address, government federal tax ID number, vehicle information about each and every vehicle Transportation Provider uses while using the services including license plate number, vehicle identification number and car insurance information. We collect the payment information you provide us, including your bank routing numbers, and tax information. Depending on where you want to drive, we may also ask for additional business license or permit information.
Ratings and Feedback. When you rate and provide feedback about Users and Transportation Providers, we collect all of the information you provide in your feedback.
Communications. When you contact us or we contact you, we collect any information that you provide, including the contents of the messages or attachments you send us.
B. Information We Collect When You Use the Dark Carz Services
Location Information. Great rides start with an easy and accurate pickup. The Dark Carz Services collects location information (including GPS and WiFi data) differently depending on your Dark Carz app settings and device permissions as well as whether you are using the Services as a User or Transportation Provider:
- Riders: We collect your device’s precise location when you open and use the Dark Carz app, including while the app is running in the background from the time you request a ride until it ends.
- Transportation Providers: We collect your device’s precise location when you open and use the app, including while the app is running in the background when it is in Transportation Provider mode. We also collect precise location for a limited time after you exit Transportation Provider mode in order to detect ride incidents, and continue collecting it until a reported or detected incident is no longer active.
Usage Information. We collect information about your use of the Dark Carz Services, including ride information like the date, time, destination, distance, route and payment. We also collect information about your interactions with the Dark Carz Services like our apps and websites, including the pages and content you view and the dates and times of your use.
Device Information. We may collect information about the devices you use to access the Dark Carz Services, including device model, IP address, type of browser, version of operating system, identity of carrier and manufacturer, radio type (such as 4G), preferences and settings (such as preferred language), application installations, device identifiers, advertising identifiers, and push notification tokens.
Communications Between Riders and Transportation Providers. We work with a third party to facilitate phone calls and text messages between Riders and Transportation Providers without sharing either party’s actual phone number with the other.
Cookies, Analytics, and Third Party Technologies. We may collect information through the use of “cookies”, tracking pixels, data analytics tools like Google Analytics, SDKs, and other third party technologies to understand how you navigate through the Dark Carz Services and interact with Dark Carz advertisements, to make your Dark Carz experience safer, to learn what content is popular, to improve your site experience, to serve you better ads on other sites, and to save your preferences. Cookies are small text files that web servers place on your device; they are designed to store basic information and to help websites and apps recognize your browser. We may use both session cookies and persistent cookies. A session cookie disappears after you close your browser. A persistent cookie remains after you close your browser and may be accessed every time you use the Dark Carz Services. You should consult your web browser(s) to modify your cookie settings. Please note that if you delete or choose not to accept cookies from us, you may miss out on certain features of the Dark Carz Services.
C. Information We Collect from Third Parties
Third Party Services. Third party services provide us with information needed for core aspects of the Dark Carz Services, as well as for additional services, programs, loyalty benefits, and promotions that can enhance your Dark Carz experience. These third party services may include background check providers, insurance partners, financial service providers, marketing providers, and other businesses.
Other Users and Sources. Other users or public or third-party sources such as law enforcement, insurers, media, or pedestrians may provide us information about you, for example as part of an investigation into an incident or to provide you support.
How We Use Your Information
We use your personal information to:
- Provide the Dark Carz Services;
- Maintain the security and safety of the Dark Carz Services and its users;
- Build and maintain the Dark Carz community;
- Provide customer support;
- Improve the Dark Carz Services; and
- Respond to legal proceedings and obligations.
Providing the Dark Carz Services. We use your personal information to provide an intuitive, useful, efficient, and worthwhile experience on our Services. To do this, we use your personal information to:
- Verify your identity and maintain your account, settings, and preferences;
- Connect you to your rides and track their progress;
- Calculate prices and process payments;
- Allow Riders and Transportation Providers to connect regarding their ride and to choose to share their location with others;
- Communicate with you about your rides and experience;
- Collect feedback regarding your experience; and
- Facilitate additional services and programs with third parties.
Maintaining the Security and Safety of the Dark Carz Services and its Users. Providing you a secure and safe experience drives our Services, both on the road and on our apps. To do this, we use your personal information to:
- Authenticate users;
- Investigate and resolve incidents, accidents, and insurance claims;
- Encourage safe driving behavior and avoid unsafe activities;
- Find and prevent fraud; and
- Block and remove unsafe or fraudulent users from the Dark Carz Services.
Building and Maintaining the Dark Carz Community. Dark Carz works to be a positive part of the community. We use your personal information to:
- Communicate with you about events, promotions, elections, and campaigns;
- Personalize and provide content, experiences, communications, and advertising to promote and grow the Dark Carz Services; and
Providing Customer Support. We work hard to provide the best experience possible, including supporting you when you need it. To do this, we use your personal information to:
- Investigate and assist you in resolving questions or issues you have regarding the Dark Carz Services; and
- Provide you support or respond to you.
Improving the Dark Carz Services. We are always working to improve your experience and provide you with new and helpful features. To do this, we use your personal information to:
- Perform research, testing, and analysis;
- Develop new products, features, partnerships, and services;
- Prevent, find, and resolve software or hardware bugs and issues; and
- Monitor and improve our operations and processes, including security practices, algorithms, and other modeling.
Responding to Legal Proceedings and Requirements. Sometimes the law, government entities, or other regulatory bodies impose demands and obligations on us with respect to the services we seek to provide. In such a circumstance, we may use your personal information to respond to those demands or obligations.
How We Share Your Information
We do not sell your personal information. To make the Dark Carz Services work, we may need to share your personal information with other users, third parties, and service providers. This section explains when and why we share your information.
A. Sharing Between Dark Carz Users
Riders and Transportation Providers.
Rider information shared with Transportation Provider: Upon receiving a ride request, we share with the Transportation Provider the Rider’s pickup location, name, profile photo, Rider statistics (like approximate number of rides and years as a Rider), and information the Rider includes in their Rider profile (like preferred pronouns). Upon pickup and during the ride, we share with the Transportation Provider the Rider’s destination and any additional stops the Rider inputs into the Dark Carz app.
Transportation Provider information shared with Rider: Upon a Transportation Provider accepting a requested ride, we will share with the Rider the Transportation Provider Company’s name, the Driver’s photo, real-time location, and the vehicle make, model, color, and license plate, as well as other information in the Transportation Provider’s Dark Carz profile.
Although we help Riders and Transportation Providers communicate with one another to arrange a pickup, we do not share your actual phone number or other contact information with other users. If you report a lost or found item to us, we will seek to connect you with the relevant Rider or Transportation Provider, including sharing actual contact information with your consent.
Rides Requested or Paid For by Others. Some rides you take may be requested or paid for by others. If you take one of those rides using your Dark Carz Business Profile account, a code or coupon, a corporate credit card linked to another account, or another user otherwise requests a ride for you, we may share some or all of your ride details with that other party, including the date, time, charge, rating given, region of trip, and pick up and drop off location of your ride.
B. Sharing With Third-Party Service Providers for Business Purposes
Depending on whether you’re a Rider or a Transportation Provider, Dark Carz may share the following categories of your personal information for a business purpose to provide you with a variety of the Dark Carz Services’s features and services:
- Personal identifiers, such as your name, address, email address, date of birth, government identification number (such as social security number), Transportation Provider Company Name, vehicle information, and car insurance information;
- Financial information, such as bank routing numbers, tax information, and any other payment information you provide us;
- Commercial information, such as ride information and Transportation Provider/Rider transaction history;
- Internet or other electronic network activity information, such as your IP address, type of browser, version of operating system, carrier and/or manufacturer, device identifiers, and mobile advertising identifiers; and
- Location data.
We disclose those categories of personal information to service providers to fulfill the following business purposes:
- Maintaining and servicing your Dark Carz account;
- Processing or fulfilling rides;
- Providing you customer service;
- Processing Rider transactions;
- Processing Transportation Provider applications and payments;
- Verifying the identity of users;
- Detecting and preventing fraud;
- Processing insurance claims;
- Providing marketing and advertising services to Dark Carz;
- Providing requested emergency services;
- Providing analytics services to Dark Carz; and
- Undertaking internal research to develop the Dark Carz Services.
C. For Legal Reasons and to Protect the Dark Carz Services
We may share your personal information in response to a legal obligation, or if we have determined that sharing your personal information is reasonably necessary or appropriate to:
- Comply with any applicable federal, state, or local law or regulation, civil, criminal or regulatory inquiry, investigation or legal process, or enforceable governmental request;
- Respond to legal process (such as a search warrant, subpoena, summons, or court order);
- Enforce our Terms of Service;
- Cooperate with law enforcement agencies concerning conduct or activity that we reasonably and in good faith believe may violate federal, state, or local law; or
- Exercise or defend legal claims, protect against harm to our rights, property, interests, or safety or the rights, property, interests, or safety of you, third-parties, or the public as required or permitted by law.
D. In Connection with Sale or Merger
We may share your personal information while negotiating or in relation to a change of corporate control such as a restructuring, merger, or sale of our assets.
E. Upon Your Further Direction
With your permission or upon your direction, we may disclose your personal information to interact with a third party or for other purposes.
How We Store and Protect Your Information
We retain your information for as long as necessary to provide you and our other users the Dark Carz Services. This means we keep your profile information for as long as you maintain an account. We retain transactional information such as rides and payments for at least seven years to ensure we can perform legitimate business functions, such as accounting for tax obligations. If you request account deletion, we will delete your information as set forth in the “Deleting Your Account” section below.
We take reasonable and appropriate measures designed to protect your personal information. But no security measures can be 100% effective, and we cannot guarantee the security of your information, including against unauthorized intrusions or acts by third parties.
Your Rights And Choices Regarding Your Data
As explained more below, Dark Carz provides ways for you to access and delete your personal information as well as exercise other data rights that give you certain control over your personal information.
A. All Users
Email Subscriptions. You can always unsubscribe from our commercial or promotional emails by clicking unsubscribe in those messages. We will still send you transactional and relational emails about your use of the Dark Carz Services.
Profile Information. You can review and edit certain account information you have chosen to add to your profile by logging in to your account settings and profile.
Location Information. You can prevent your device from sharing location information through your device’s system settings. But if you do, this may impact Dark Carz’ ability to provide you our full range of features and services.
Cookie Tracking. You can modify your cookie settings on your browser, but if you delete or choose not to accept our cookies, you may be missing out on certain features of the Dark Carz Services.
Do Not Track. Your browser may offer you a “Do Not Track” option, which allows you to signal to operators of websites and web applications and services that you do not want them to track your online activities. The Dark Carz Services does not currently support Do Not Track requests at this time.
Deleting Your Account. If you would like to delete your Dark Carz account, please log into the App and you can delete your account. In some cases, we will be unable to delete your account, such as if there is an issue with your account related to trust, safety, or fraud. When we delete your account, we may retain certain information for legitimate business purposes or to comply with legal or regulatory obligations. For example, we may retain your information to resolve open insurance claims, or we may be obligated to retain your information as part of an open legal claim. When we retain such data, we do so in ways designed to prevent its use for other purposes.
B. California Residents
Your CCPA Rights
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) provides California residents rights regarding the collection and use of their personal information, subject to certain exceptions. An authorized party may submit requests on your behalf. The authorized party must provide a valid power of attorney, or proof of registration with the California Secretary of State as an authorized agent on your behalf.
Generally, California residents have the following rights:
- To request a disclosure of the personal information that has been collected; the categories of sources from which the information was collected; the business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling the personal information; the categories of third parties with which the personal information may be shared; and access to the specific personal information in a portable format.
- To request that a business delete any personal information about the consumer, subject to certain exceptions.
- To opt out of the sale of personal information to third parties at any time please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To not be denied a product or service, charged a different price or rate, or denied a discount or other benefit because the consumer exercised any of his/her rights under the CCPA.
Who does CCPA apply to?
CCPA applies to California residents only. For purposes of CCPA, a California resident is a person who currently lives in California, or is domiciled in California but is outside of the state for a temporary or transitory purpose. The rights described above do not apply to residents of other U.S. states or persons who reside outside of the United States.
There are certain activities, information, and circumstances involving the collection, use, processing, sale, or disclosure of personal information that are exempt or excluded from CCPA. CCPA exemptions and exclusions include, but are not limited to:
Personal information collected or sold if every aspect of the commercial transaction takes place wholly outside of California.
Deidentified or aggregate consumer information.
GLBA:The CCPA does not apply to personal information collected, processed, sold or disclosed pursuant to Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act and its implementing regulations (GLBA). GLBA is the federal law that regulates the collection, disclosure, and safeguarding of individuals' nonpublic personal information who obtain financial products or services primarily for personal, family, or household purposes from a financial institution. For example, if you are a California resident and you have a personal financial product with us, such as a personal credit card, the CCPA rights do not apply to the personal information associated with that account. There are other types of personal information that are not covered by the rights and limitations in the CCPA.
Fair Credit Reporting Act: CCPA does not apply to any activity involving the collection, maintenance, disclosure, sale, communication, or use of any personal information bearing on an individual's credit worthiness, credit standing, credit capacity, character, general reputation, personal characteristics, or mode of living by a consumer reporting agency, user or furnisher of consumer reports as defined under the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Business-to-Business Relationships: Until January 1, 2021, CCPA access and deletion requests do not apply to personal information that (1) reflects written or verbal communications or transactions between Dark Carz and you, and (2) was collected while you were acting in the capacity of an employee, owner, officer, director, or contractor of a company, in the context of Dark Carz's business relationship with that company. For these purposes, a company includes sole proprietors, partnerships, non-profits, and government entities.
Employment Related Activity: Until January 1, 2021, CCPA access, opt out, and deletion requests do not apply to personal information that is (1) collected about you in the course of acting as a former or current job applicant, employee, owner, director, officer, or contractor of Dark Carz, and (2) used solely in the context of that role. This exemption also applies to personal information of others collected in the course of your acting in one of these roles, if it is your emergency contact information or necessary to administer your benefits.
What can I expect if I exercise any of my rights?
You will not receive a confirmation to a request to opt-out. Consistent with applicable law, we will opt you out of sales at your request.
You will receive a response to your verified request within 45 days of submission, unless we notify you prior to the 45 days that the delivery date of response will be extended by an additional 45 days. Along with the response to the verified request, you will receive a copy of certain information Dark Carz has collected on you during the 12 months immediately preceding the date of your verified request. This will include any information provided in your verified consumer request form. Dark Carz is not obligated to provide a response more than twice in a 12-month period; this period begins upon your submission of the verified consumer request.
Consistent with applicable law, we will delete your personal information in response to your request.
Do-Not-Sell. California consumers have the right to opt-out of our sale of their personal information. Opt-out rights can be exercised by using the OneTrust cookie consent module on our home page to opt-out of advertising cookies.
Other third-party businesses may collect information when you interact with our digital property, including IP addresses, digital identifiers, information about your web browsing and app usage, and how you interact with our properties and ads in order to provide you with relevant ads across the Internet and for other analytics purposes, and may sell that information to other businesses for advertising and other purposes. By visiting here www.privacyrights.info or optout.privacyrights.info, you can opt out from sales of this type of personal information by businesses that participate in the opt out tool. To make opt-out requests related to mobile apps on your device for businesses participating in the DAA’s CCPA App-based Opt-Out Tool, you can download the appropriate app at www.youradchoices.com/appchoices.
Verifiable Requests for Copy, Deletion, and Right to Know. Subject to certain exceptions, California consumers have the right to make the following requests, at no charge, up to twice every 12 months:
Deletion: the right to request deletion of their personal information that we have collected about you, subject to certain exemptions, and to have such personal information deleted.
Right to Know: the right to request that we disclose certain information about how we have handled your personal information in the prior 12 months, including the:
- categories of personal information collected
- categories of sources of personal information collected
- business and/or commercial purposes for collecting and selling your personal information
- categories of third parties with whom we have disclosed or shared your personal information
- categories of personal information that we have disclosed or shared with a third party for a business purpose
- categories of third parties to whom the consumer’s personal information has been sold
- categories of personal information that we have sold (if any)
- The specific pieces of personal information we collect from you
Submitting Requests. You can submit a deletion or right-to-know request by emailing us at: email@example.com; we will respond to verifiable requests received from California consumers as required by law. We also ask you for additional information necessary to verify or process your request. We may also carry out checks, including with third party identity verification services, to verify your identity before taking any action with your personal information. We will respond substantively to your verifiable requests within 45 days, unless additional time (up to 45 additional days) is needed, in which case we will let you know.
Incentives and Discrimination. The CCPA prohibits discrimination against California consumers for exercising their rights under the CCPA and imposes requirements on any financial incentives offered to California consumers related to their personal information. Businesses may offer different prices, rates, or quality of goods or services if the difference is reasonably related to the value of the consumer’s data.
Dark Carz is not directed to children, and we don’t knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13. If we find out that a child under 13 has given us personal information, we will take steps to delete that information. If you believe that a child under the age of 13 has given us personal information, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Links to Third Party Websites
The Dark Carz Services may contain links to third-party websites. Those websites may have privacy policies that differ from ours. We are not responsible for those websites, and we recommend that you review their policies. Please contact those websites directly if you have any questions about their privacy policies.
We may update this policy from time to time as the Dark Carz Services changes and privacy law evolves. If we update it, we will do so online, and if we make material changes, we will let you know through the Dark Carz Services or by some other method of communication like email. When you use Dark Carz, you are agreeing to the most recent terms of this policy.
If you have any questions or concerns about your privacy or anything in this policy, including if you need to access this policy in an alternative format, we encourage you to contact us at email@example.com.